I'm getting a moderate number of problem reports associated with using wireless network cards in PCI card docks on desktop machines. Most of the problems are on old hardware that does not provide the PCI interrupt routing information that Linux needs to deliver interrupts from the card docks. I've been trying to fix these on a case by case basis, but it has been painful because some of the fixes can't be easily automated and rolled into the standard drivers. I'm not sure what to do about this.
In the tulip_cb driver, I've added a Xircom patch from Andrea Arcangeli, that seems to fix the rx address filtering so that "ifconfig ... promisc" isn't needed. This seems to work for my CBEM card, but I'm a little concerned about the patch, because I don't understand why the original code was so goofy. I'm worried that maybe there are multiple versions of the CBEM cards that behave differently.
With a lot of help from Jochen Friedrich, we've fixed the pcnet_cs driver to seamlessly support the latest revs of the D-Link DFE-650 and NetGear FA410TXC (and probably a few other 10/100 cards that use the pcnet_cs driver).
I've also changed the pcnet_cs driver to detect and complain about cards with Asix AX88190 chipsets. This chipset claims to be NE2000 compatible, but has several serious bugs that prevent the stock pcnet_cs driver from working correctly.
For debugging some common installation problems, I've added three new Perl scripts: test_setup, test_network, and test_modem. The tests are very superficial but are meant to help people who may not know where to start when a problem comes up.
On the 2.3.99 kernel front, I've been updating the in-kernel PCMCIA network drivers to accommodate some kernel API changes. The wireless drivers are broken at the moment but I hope to finish fixing them soon. The client drivers in the 3.1.15 tree won't build against these latest kernels either; I'll come up with a fix for this soon.