After posting the message I realised that a workaround was already posted in this newsgroup. I reinstalled pcmcia 3.1.8 and then I first tried ifconfig eth0 promisc which succeeded in getting the network working. Of course, I didn't understand at all why "promisc" should be important. Following another posting I tried ifconfig eth0 down up and this also does the trick. I added this line in /etc/pcmcia/network right after /sbin/ifconfig $DEVICE up $IPADDR netmask $NETMASK $BC Somehow a simple restart is enough to get the card working. I havn't tried the modem yet. If somebody tells me how to collect statistics on network connections I could try to find out how well the driver works.