As root, when you type ifconfig, what is the output?
I have a Dell Inspiron 7500 and the way I get it to work is the following:
1) On bootup, card doesn't/isn't able to get an IP address from my main Linux box, so I let it error out.
2) At the logon screen I logon
3) I su to root and restart the network init.d script by typing :
4) While that is working I hit ctl+alt+F2 to get to another tty/terminal window and logon as root. I then type
ifconfig eth0 promisc
Then I exit out of that terminal
5) When I alt+ctrl+F1 back to the first terminal window, I see the dhcpcd command complete. But at this time the card is still in promisc mode so I just use the up arrow key to re-enter the same command in as above:
Type "exit" to get back to your normal user status.
The network restarts, the card re-inits and is no longer in promiscuous mode. Everthings works fine. You can double check the card by typing in:
I know this sounds like alot, but I can perform the steps in under 10 seconds. Not a big deal and at least the card works without alot of acrobatics.
There probably is an easier way to do this via the standard Mandrake network scripts via modification but I haven't had the time to figure it out yet.
I just got the card RBEM56G-100TX this week and it works like a charm. Hope this helps....